Wednesday 15 May 2013

My Philofaxy Story

I have been meaning to write this post for a while, it has been on my mind for a few weeks. I first came across the Philofaxy blog probably about 18 months ago while searching for templates for my Filofax. At the time I was using a personal domino in Grape, but had been a user of Filofaxes since I was about 14. I loved the versatility and design of the binders, the way they felt in my hand, and the fact that I was pursuing my desire to be more organised. It worked.

After a few weeks of reading the posts on Philofaxy and trying out the free files, I started speaking to some of the community members about their ideas, their Filofaxes, and the sections they marked in their planners. So many options, so many ideas and lots of incredible inspiration.

Now, 18 months later, I am part of the Filofax for Philofaxy Fans Facebook page. I check the page daily, read new posts and comments, and keep in touch with like-minded organisational buddies. It's not just Filofax that I have an interest in, it is the people that make this group so fantastic.

Slowly over the past few years it seems my social life has gone down the pan. This isn't because I've done anything awful and driven everyone away, it's because a full time job draws you away from having a life. There is always something to be done. Housework, washing, working, food shopping. There is always something that needs paying for, and no longer can pay checks be spent on a heavy night in the local pub, or a nice meal with friends in our favourite restaurant.

I really miss having a social life, and I miss having things to write in my Filofax. I've become a bit of a recluse, started to feel like I don't want to go out, I just want to stay in my nice little house where I know everything is okay and I will be safe, there's food and drink and things to keep me busy. It's not the way life should be lived though, we have to have adventures and experiences, to inspire us and make us better people.

Back to the community, I consider all members very good friends, better friends than a lot I have had in the past. Reliable friends, generous friends, people who go out of their way to find something that will make you happy. A purple Malden, an orange Osterley, a pink Washi Tape with snails on it.

The community is about sharing our passions and ideas, asking for opinions and advice, using each other's creative and organisational minds to make ourselves better at life. When I've had a rubbish day at work, there is somewhere to escape, something that probably doesn't matter to most people, but means a lot to some.

It is finding 'me' time. Sitting in bed on a Saturday morning with a cup of tea and reading the Web Finds. Watching videos of setups when there's nothing interesting on telly.

I just wanted to say thank you to all my Filo-friends who are part of the community, for sharing your busy lives, and including me in this wonderful community. <3

Laura Jane

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! I totally feel you on this! Philofaxy is such a great community, it's like we all understand each other! We can all inspire each other and help each other out even if its not Filofax related. I'm happy to have met you and other wonderful people!

Blinged and Brilliant said...

What a great post! I have found so many wonderful people in this community and I am so happy to be a part of it. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Hey I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Do check my post at http://planningwithprintedportal.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/liebster-blog-award/
Happy blogging!

laura jane said...

Thank you so much! <3

LJ said...

What a lovely post - the Philofaxy group is so welcoming and it´s a nice place to go where there is no bitching and all the nonsense that you see in some other places which seem to be full of people who exist to create drama. There is support, entertainment and lots of love in our Philofaxy world :o)

MyLife Re-Organised said...

This is a really great post that I think we all can relate to

pattygardner.com said...

I love Philofaxy, too! It's a great place to be.

laura jane said...

Happy to have met you too Jennifer, I love you guys! :)

Sam said...

I so get this post!! Especially this bit:

"I really miss having a social life, and I miss having things to write in my Filofax. I've become a bit of a recluse, started to feel like I don't want to go out, I just want to stay in my nice little house where I know everything is okay and I will be safe, there's food and drink and things to keep me busy. It's not the way life should be lived though, we have to have adventures and experiences, to inspire us and make us better people."

That is me all over!!!

laura jane said...

I'm glad you can relate Sam, its nice to meet people who have the same thoughts xx